IMPORTANT DATES FROM THE HISTORY OF ZAMOSC
1517 – Mikołaj and Feliks Zamoyscy bought from Jan Ostrowski the settlement of Skokówka with a small castle among the Łabuńki and Topornica pools (originally called. By hog) and surrounding villages; now the place with earth relics is called the Castle.
1542 – 19 III - Jan Zamoyski, the future founder of Zamość, was born in Skokówka.
1578 – 1 VII — Jan Zamoyski, Grand Crown Deputy Chancellors, concluded a contract with the Italian architect Bernard Morand for the construction of a palace in Skokówka.
1579 – Commencement of the construction of the palace on the Łabuńka river, in front of the jumpers, and Moranda's design of the city connected to the residence. Begin marking the city in the field and recruiting the first settlers.
1580 – 3 IV — Jan Zamoyski, Grand Crown Chancellor, issued a city location act. New Zamość (unlike in Stary Zamość - a nearby settlement belonging to the second line of the family). The organizational structure of the city was modeled on Lviv, based on Magdeburg Law.
1580 – 12 VI - King Stefan Batory confirmed the founding act of Zamość, gave the city a coat of arms, allowed the establishment of guilds and appointed 3 annual fairs and weekly markets, established the right of storage and exempted the burghers of Zamość from customs duties throughout the country.
1580 – 90 – Zamość - a great construction site: complete city and suburbs surveying, construction of the palace, arsenal, town houses, wooden church of St.. Cross, commencement of work at the collegiate church, building a dike, commencement of earthworks on fortifications.
1581 – Establishment of the first Zamość school under the direction of Fr.. Jana herbesta.
1584 – Erection of the Roman Catholic parish at the church of St.. Cross in Przedmieście Lwowskie and the establishment of a parish school.
1585 – Armenians from Turkey and Armenia were granted the privilege of settling in Zamość and erecting a temple.
1588 – Sephardic Jews were granted the privilege to settle at ul. Szewska and to build a synagogue.
Triumphant introduction through the Lublin Gate of an excellent prisoner - Archduke of Austria Maximilian, pretender to the Polish throne, after he was defeated by hetman Zamoyski in the battle of Byczyna.
1589 – Zamość became the capital of the state - the Zamość estate established by Jan Zamoyski and approved by the Polish Parliament.
Armenians were granted the privilege of organizing an independent community.
The Greeks obtained the privilege to settle in Zamość in the south-east district. and to build a church.
1589 – 91 Secondary school activity under the supervision of Sebastian Klonowicz, which is the nucleus of the future academy.
1590 – 99 Intensive construction works according to the design. Bernard Moranda: walling of bastion fortifications, construction of the collegiate church, town hall, Lviv Gate, many tenement houses and wooden Armenian temples, Greeks and Jews; the first academic buildings were built.
1591 – The first inspection of the city after 11 years of construction has stated the existence 217 houses; only 26 the lots were empty. Property owners, except Poles and Ruthenians, they were primarily Armenians, Greeks, Germany, then the Hungarians, Italians, The Jews, Scots. The city's population was approx. 1 thousand. people.
1591—92 The devaluation of money and bad air are the causes of the periodic crisis of the city. .
1593—95 Organizing and opening the Zamość Academy and a printing house. First publications from the Zamość printing house (1594); publicly announcing the opening of the Academy and approving it by the bull of Clement VIII (1594); the first matriculated students and Jan Zamoyski's "Odezwa do Polaków" to start their studies (1595).
1594 The military garrison of the fortress counted 120 soldiers and 2 cannoneers.
1595 – 97 More than people came to the Zamość Academy 200 people, mostly among the noble youth.
1597 First election of elders in craft guilds: carpenters, bakers, locksmiths, shoemakers, weavers, furriers, tailors, potters.
1600 Jan Zamoyski issues the collegiate and Academy foundation acts. Architect Bemardo Morando has died.
1601 Establishment of a tribunal by Jan Zamoyski (the court of appeal) in Zamość for the cities of ordination-Jan Zamoyski founded the "Pious Bank" serving loans to poor townspeople and students of Zamość.
1604 Publishing the "Index of forbidden books" in Zamość - an expression of the victory of the counter-reformation tendencies.
1605 3 Jan Zamoyski died on July 7.
XVII w. (1 half).i Intensive construction work by builder B.. Gocmana, architect J. Jaroszewicz, Eng. A. of Aqua, builder Jan Wolff. The construction of the Szczebrzeska Gate, completion of fortifications, expansion of the town hall, erection of brick temples - the Greek Orthodox Church, the Armenian Church, synagogue, the construction of magnificent brick tenement houses is one thing- and two-story, with arcades and attics.
1607 The military garrison counted only 30 soldiers and 2 cannoneers.
1627 The fire spread over part of the city, printing house, palace.
1634 King Władysław IV and his brothers visited Zamość.
1637 The final victory of the Counter-Reformation - the death work of Tomasz Zamoyski, 2nd ordinate; consecration of the collegiate church, foundation of the Franciscan Church, decree expelling the Arians from the area of ordination.
1638—40 Organizational development of the Academy thanks to Katarzyna Zamoyska née Ostrogska; first doctorates (1638); laying the foundation stone for the construction of a new building (1639); re-foundation of the chair of theology (1640).
1640 Foundation of the theological seminary by Katarzyna Zamoyska née Ostrogska.
1648 6—24 XI - siege of Zamość by the Cossack and Tatar troops led by Bohdan Chmielnicki. Burning in the suburbs of St.- Catherine and the Zamoyski villa in Krasnybrzeg.
1649 King Jan Kazimierz, going to the rescue of Zbaraż, he stopped in Zamość.
1656 26 II — 1 III - effective defense of the fortress by Jan Zamoyski Sobiepan, 3rd ordinate, during the siege of Zamość by the Swedish army led by Charles X Gustav. Later, Swedish prisoners of war were imprisoned in the Zamość fortress, m. in. field marszałka Wittenberga, who died here. In connection with the hostilities, King Jan Kazimierz stayed in Zamość.