While standing in the palace gate, let us take a look deep into the market square and rest our gaze on the compact mass of the extinction, the fortress walls closing in the east of the city. Many times Chancellor Zamoyski seized this space with his gaze and he picked out the buildings erected in front of the palace from the evening darkness or the screams of the wounded..
Many centuries have passed, full of lowness for its duration of days, months, years, and they go on, some of them in a shape unchanged from the time of the Queen, like, from that, a long building behind the palace, the Zamość arsenal.
Except for minor changes, consisting in the separation of a large vaulted interior with small walls, has survived unchanged to this day. It was also built according to the plan of Bernardo Morando in 1582 r. of hewn stone, material obtained during the demolition of the old castle in Skokówka and together with the castle belongs to the buildings completed during the chancellor's lifetime.
There was one in the entire length of the building, a huge hall supported by nine pillars in the middle. It had small barred windows, which provided a sufficient amount of light for the interior.
The arsenal was intended, as the inscription placed in it by Zamoyski said, to house cannons specially placed for him, captured and received from friendly princes or graceful cities.
Immediately after completion of the construction, he provided the arsenal of the hetman with cannons brought from Krzeszów and hook lifts from Olsztyn; and the chancellor's concern for the proper supply of the established fortress with the necessary weapons was also shared by Riga, by funding two six-pound cannons.
They took special care of the arsenal from the later ordinates: Jan, the husband of the French d'Arquien in the bells of the Zamość new cannon made Mikołaj de la Marche weed, and Marcin, treasurer of the great crown, which he added twelve sections with the coat of arms of Jelita to the preceding ones.
The arsenal passed through various railroads along with the entire city:
W 1648 r. he performed his baptism by fire, firing arrows at the besiegers.
On the night of 18 on 19 April 1658 r. burned down in a fire, which at that time consumed a greater number of buildings in the city and scared the sleepy inhabitants with the exploding dust. The wooden bindings of the shingled roof burned down then, and inside it's all, which could only be consumed by fire, even some melter works. The stone walls of the arsenal came out of that sea of flames.
W 1703-cim r. witnessed the deposition of arms within its walls by the population and the garrison at the behest of Charles XII.
In September 1704 r. was issued without a shot by the then ordinate Tomasz Józef to the Swedish regiment and breathed a sigh of relief, when, after two days of submission, the king was seized intact and handed him over to the owner, which was further rethinking again over the armament of the arsenal and the strengthening of the city.
On a May night 1809 r. stables threatened with fire from Polish grenades burning from Polish grenades, he watched the feverish removal of the ashes and had far-reaching hopes for the person of the new commander of the fortress, soon appointed by order of Prince Józef, which was supposed to lead her to a defensive state.
All the guns in Zamość by the ordinate Stanisław donated to the government of the Duchy of Warsaw left the fortress, and stolen during the vicissitudes of war, they spent a long time idle outside the Polish lands. Revindicated after the World War, today they dream peacefully on the slopes of Wawel or in the silence of museum vestibules..
He has survived the arsenal and remembers a lot - but his old walls are silent.
Silence has its pronunciation - perhaps stronger than words.