Almost opposite to D.. the residence of the Zamoyski family, currently the seat of the provincial judicial authorities. It is located on the axis of the urban composition in the west. part of the city. Situated in the back, the palace is preceded by a spacious open courtyard, framed on the sides by long outbuildings. At the rear of the palace, a courtyard closed with 3 sides of the lower wings of the outbuildings. The architecture of the palace is not uniform due to numerous reconstructions.
The original residence, erected by Jan Zamoyski in 1. 1579-8S according to the design. B. Moranda, it was separated from the rest of the city by its own bastion fortifications with a gate at the front on the axis of the foundation. Hetman's Palace, length. 60 m, fourteen-window, two-story, after the reconstruction, it is stuck in the walls of the present main body. It had a monumental front, two-winged stairs leading to the first floor of honor (noble floor) with a four-arcaded loggia - a portico. A tower called. altar, with a terrace, from where there was a view of the city and the surrounding area.
In this palace, Jan Zamoyski, as Grand Chancellor, received foreign envoys, here he also undertook the Shrovetide of St. 1588 an excellent prisoner of war - Maksymilian, Archduke of Austria, who kept his daughter for baptism. They were the seat of the ordinate and her fraucimer 2 separate buildings behind the palace (today's west rear wing). During the reign of Jan Zamoyski Sobiepan, the palace with numerous works of art was burned down in 1658, however, it was soon rebuilt and in 1660 became - on the initiative of the ordinate - the place of an important cultural event, which was the theatrical performance of Corneille's play "Cyd" translated by Jan Andrzej Morsztyn in Polish.
During the reign of Marcin Zamoyski, in 1. 1689—90 the palace was built on the 2nd floor by J. M. Line, and the interiors received rich painting and sculptural equipment. The palace of St. 1. 1747—51, during the reign of Tomasz Antoni, the ordinate, according to the design. architects from Zamość, J.. of Kawe and J. A. Bema (the work was conducted by J. Columbani). The palace body received lofty mansard roofs (mansard) and was connected with the rear one by two-story galleries, zach. annexe, dzięki ‘Czemu powstał zamknięty dziedziniec za pałacem. At the front, an honorary courtyard was created in the French fashion by building pavilions at the main body and perpendicular side wings with corner pavilions with broken tent roofs. The courtyard was closed from the town side by an iron grate with a stone gate, topped with Rococo sculptures.
The next modernization of the residence in the classical style was started in 1806 Stanisław Kostka Zamoyski, an outstanding patron of art and culture, according to previously ordered designs from national architects (Piotr Aigner, Jakub Hempel, Henryk Ittar) and French (A. Dufour, P. Fontaine, Ch. Percier). The projects included the establishment of a museum. Extensive work was interrupted by war accidents in 1809. Since then, the palace has ceased to be the seat of the ordinates; w 1821 it was sold together with the city to the State Treasury. There are faint traces of the reconstruction initiated by Ittar - several cystic class fireplaces. The once rich architectural equipment was destroyed during the reconstruction of the palace after 1831 on a military hospital. At that time, the second floor was raised and the elevations were stripped of the original divisions. The mansard roofs over the body and wings were replaced with simpler ones. In the pavilion south. an Orthodox chapel was arranged. After the liquidation of the fortress, St. 1866 judicial institutions found room here (w 1918 a District Court was established in Zamość, currently Provincial). The honorary courtyard in front of the palace is covered with trees and serves as a square.
W pn. One wing of the palace houses Drukarnia Zamojska, which has over fifty years of tradition. Founded in 1921 as the Printing House of the Zamojski Sejm, it was raised to a high level by Mieczysław Klauznicer. Some of the bibliophilic publications of the Zamość Book Lovers Society were printed here, m. in. w 1925 collection of poetry "Kwadraty" by Stanisław Młodożeniec, co-founders of Polish futurism, professor of the Zamość Gymnasium. Regional magazines were printed here: "Zamojska Land", "Teka Zamojska", "Word Zamojskie" and others. In July 1944 the machines were saved from being taken away by the Germans
Outbuildings - this 2 one-story classicist buildings set at right angles to each other, connecting to the south. the wing of the palace and adjacent to the d. arsenal, today occupied by the offices of several departments of the Zamość City Hall. They were built in the mid-18th century. on the arena (related. then "raiszula"), wozownię i masztalernię; burned during the siege of 1809 were then thoroughly rebuilt inside, with a change in the way of use. The facades received a new architectural design in the classicist style, with rustication at the corners.