The great market – tenement houses. Adjacent to the town hall are houses considered to be the most beautiful, from which we will start visiting the Market Square. The northern frontage of the Market Square is ul. Armenian, already intended by Jan Zamoyski for Armenians, who dealt in trade. Privilege of 1585 r. guaranteed the rights and freedom of religion, a z 1589 r. it allowed for the organization of a separate Armenian community with its own court. The Armenians quickly created the most numerous and wealthy group of foreign nationality in the city, which began to lose its importance at the end of the 17th century., what in 1738 r. was the reason for the liquidation of their commune. At no. 30 tenement house. "Wilczkowska" from the name of its next owner, Jan Wilczek – the councilor of Zamość. It has a rich exterior decoration derived from 2 half. XVII w., with two arcades. Originally in the early. XVII w. it belonged to the professor of philosophy Adam Burski, one of the most outstanding scientists of the Zamość Academy. The early baroque decoration of the facades dates back to the 1st century. 1672-76 made by the then owner Jan Wilczek. It is also decorated with bas-reliefs of St.. John the Evangelist and John the Baptist – owner patrons, Mary as Madonna – the patroness of his wife and St.. Thomas the Apostle with 3 with spears – of the coat of arms of Zamość.
At no. 28 tenement house "Rudomiczowska" erected in the l. 1645-72 by prof. Hieronim Kołakowski's Zamość Academy, and then used by Bazyli Rudomicz, medic and chronicler. At no. 26 tenement house "Under the Angel". also the "Bartoszewiczów" tenement house, built in l. 1632-34 by the wealthy merchant Gabriel Bartoszewicz. Bas-relief plant and animal ornaments on the facade, a figure of the Archangel Gabriel in the recess on the first floor – the patron of the owner, lions and a fantastic dragon on the wall of the second floor. Above the portal, a cartouche with St.. Jerzy on horseback.
At no. 24 tenement house "Under the Marriage" or "Szafirowa", erected after 1642 r. The name comes from the color of the polychrome (reconstructed) and no longer existing bas-reliefs decorating the facade. These four tenement houses are the seat of the District Museum, whose origins go back 1925 r. The main historical and artistic exhibition shows the history of the city with its model (moved here from Kojec), the original charter for the location of Zamość z 1580 r., portraits of ordinates – in particular, the figure of the city's founder, Jan Zamoyski. On the first floor, the great front room with an alcove is occupied by an exhibition devoted to the mental and cultural life of the city. The scepter of the chancellor of the Zamość Academy stands out 1619 r. and paintings by Józef Brandt ("Zaporozhets" with 1895 r.), Józef Mehoffer ("Znad Leman" z 1919 r.), Aleksander Orłowski ("Lisowczyk"), Maksymilian Gierymski ("Genre scene"), Rafał Hadziewicz („Sw. Michael Archangel "and the sketch" Holy Trinity ") and Olga Boznańska ("In the park"). The remaining rooms are occupied by an archaeological and ethnographic exhibition. Townhouses of the eastern frontage. initially they belonged to the Armenians, but in the 17th century. became the property of Academy professors and pharmacists.
At no. 8 tenement house "Under St.. Kazimierz ", name from the figure of St.. Kazimierz with 1697 r., patron of the then owner Kazimierz Lubecki, of the Zamość mayor. At no. 6 tenement house "Birkowska" or "Academic" erected in the l. 1600-16 by Szymon Birkowski, professor of medicine at the Zamość Academy. On the first floor, a preserved founder's square in the portal and in the room, an inter-window pillar with a Roman-Doric semicolumn. At no. 2 "Piechowiczowska" or "Pharmacy" tenement house erected in 1609 r. by the apothecary, Szymon Piechowicz, a professor of medicine and a long-time rector of the Zamość Academy. From more than 350 lat still houses a pharmacy to this day. In the southern frontage. the tenement houses are the closest to the Italian designs, single-story with attics, four-window, with arcades and arcades. At no. 23 the "Telanowska" or "Zamoyski" tenement house erected in the. 1591-99 by B. Moranda for the Italian merchant Franz Tellani, w l. 1599-1657 property of the ordinates. At the end of the 19th century. the second floor was added, the window frieze and the attic were removed. It has a characteristic arrangement of the ground floor interior without a vestibule and a geometric strip decoration of the vaults. At no. 25 the "Morandowska II" or "Fołty-nowiczowska" tenement house designed by B. Moranda. From 1644 r. property of the professor of philosophy and law and the rector of the Zamość Academy, Marcin Fołtynowicz. It is distinguished by a rich, low-relief frieze with rosettes. At no. 27 tenement house "Szczebrzeska" z 1600 r., city property as a safe place to store treasures. At no. 29 tenement house with 1600 r. erected by the court painter Zamoyski, Krzysztof Bystrzycki, it has preserved many elements of the late Renaissance stonework. At no. 31 the "Turobińska" tenement house built in the. 1604-10 according to the design. B. Moranda through the ordinate city of Turobin. It houses the PTTK branch in Zamość.
In the west frontage. stands out under no. 5 tenement house "Linkowska" erected at the end of the 17th century. by eng. military and arch. Jan Michał Link in Zamość, who from a cannoneer was promoted to major of the Zamość fortress and an engineer. The facade decoration refers to the art of war. Above the windows of the first floor, there are busts of Minerva and Hercules, below are laurel and palm branches and panoplies. At no. 7 the "Morandowska I" tenement house, which arch. Zamosc – Bernardo Morando.